Monday, September 22, 2008

Something to consider before voting!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I love her! Thanks for posting this!

Mindy said...

As a social worker speaking to a social worker, I hope this issue is not the only reason for your candidate vote...I'm not trying to sway you in an way as per your post was...I'm simply stating that there's more to social policy and advocating and supporting others than the issue of abortion. I may not agree with Obama's record regarding abortion policies, but I do however support everything else he's trying to do to support our clientele and the plethora of issues they are facing...much more everyday issues people are facing out there than the single issue of abortion. That's all.

George said...

I agree that voters need to choose a candidate based on more then one issue. But the sanctity of life hast to be the most important. All the social programs in the world cannot help a child if they were killed before they were even born. You have to first be alive to benefit from Big Government.

Jamie said...

Great comment George! Just tonight Kyle and I drove past what appeared to be a prayer vigil outside of a abortion clinic. This is obviously a pressing issue that needs to be addressed.

Chitown7 said...

I have a hard time believing that you did not post this video to sway people's votes. Which is fine, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but at least admit to your actions.

If you are actually a social worker, your stance on this issue is of great concern. I'm sure that you will meet many clients who are struggling in a variety of ways and will need to use their own self determination to make difficult choices that are best for them.

Choices that may include abortion.

Abortion rates are the lowest they have been in 30 years. If reproductive rights are challenged in this country, what will happen to those rates?

Perhaps instead of challenging reproductive rights, we need to stop funneling millions of dollars towards abstinence-only sex education.

I wonder if that is the kind of education Bristol Palin received...?

"Bristol Palin made the decision on her own to keep the baby", McCain aides said.

Nice to know that SHE has the choice, but the rest of us, according to McCain and Palin, should not (and will not if they are elected).

Luckily, I think you stand alone within the world of social workers. The rest of us will cheer together when Obama and Biden are elected in November.

Be Republican, be pro-life, be whatever you want to be, but don't pretend that you are using this blog for anything other than to sway people.

MTR said...

mysteriousmindy -

I am not a one issue voter ... what I mean is that I have never voted for a candidate because I agree with them on only one issue. I've only voted for candidates who I agree with on several issues.

However, if I agreed with a candidate only on abortion and disagreed with them on everything else, I just might become a one issue voter.

After all, is there anything more important? 40 million + lives exterminated since Roe v Wade. What if, instead of being babies in the womb, those 40 million were 5 year olds, or teenage girls, or black men? Would your view change then? A candidate that supports the murder of his nation's offspring is a messed up candidate, unfit for leadership.

For the record, Obama isn't just pro-choice, but he even opposed a bill in the Illinois Senate to protect babies born alive after botched abortions from being discarded and left for dead. This, and I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, is Hitler-esque. Zero regard for innocent human life.

Furthermore, who are your "clientele" and how do you think Barack's policies actually support them? I'd be interested in an extended conversation with you about this. Because liberals, liberalism and liberal policies have a pretty reliable track record for acutally messing up the people they are trying to help.

Don't mean to jump down your throat, Mindy ... I'm sure you're a nice gal. But I couldn't resist commenting on your comment. I think it's full of misunderstanding.

MTR said...

FYI

Here is the link to an article regarding Obama's opposition to protecting babies born alive after botched abortions:

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18647

And here's a link to an article by Christian theologian, John Piper, about the legitimacy of one issue voting with regard to abortion:

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1995/1524

MTR said...

chitown7 -

A thought regarding abstinence based sex education ... in my state, educators submit themselves to teaching what they refer to as "the highest health standard", period.

For instance, when teaching kids about smoking, they simply teach them not to smoke. They don't say, "Don't smoke, but if you're going to, here is a list of the cigarettes that are less likely to kill you." Because to do so wouldn't be teaching to the highest health standard, period.

The same goes with how schools in our state educate on drugs, drinking and playing with guns ... just don't do it.

Why, then, would they not apply this same standard to teaching about sex? After all, the only way you're assured not to get an STD or an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy is by abstaining from sex. Abstinence represents the highest health standard ... that's not a religious statment or even a moral statement ... it's a flat out fact.

Fortunately, I fully support Jamie for the stance that she is taking based on her well thought out convictions, and I'm encouraged to know that she's not, as you say, "standing alone within the world of social workers" (as if to suggest that if she were it would speak well of social workers). It always amazes me how the people who promote tolerance the most can be the least tolerant, when someone else's ideas don't match theirs.

And by the way, your pot-shot at Palin's daughter was lame. Maybe if she'd've practiced putting a few more condoms on a few more bananas in sex ed class she wouldn't have ended up pregnant.

Larry Lubinus said...

I am proud of the way that all of you have expressed your thoughts on this issue. Isn't it great that we live in a country that allows it's citizens to express themselves freely. These rights are unique in our world and we should be proud to live in this country.

On the issue of has Jamie posted this out of some political statement, is just an excuse to pull the conversation away from the real issue abortion. Our country has moved down the wrong path as we have sacrificed our children on the altar of choice over the last few decades. There is no easier way to say it. We have killed these unborn lives and this practice must stop. I am glad to read that the rates of abortion are the lowest in years, but that doesn't mean much to the baby that was killed yesterday or the day before. These babies could have been adopted into loving homes, but they didn't get that chance to live, the freedoms that we live with each day were denied to them. This video is awesome and this woman is amazing in her outlook on life. Keep up the good work and keep up the good fight to all of you.