Also, Kyle and I were discussing this interesting topic on the way home from my FINAL class of the semester this morning. Synesthesia is when one of your senses becomes meshed with another...pretty much the opposite of anesthesia (removing all your sensory experiences). Anyways, some people have synesthesia while others do not. I was relaying to Kyle my experiences and thought that everyone had similar ones, so all you readers out there need to tell me if you have ever experienced this in another form or the same. Mine is with numbers, some numbers are nice and others are naughty. This is the way that it has always been: all odd numbers are naughty and all nice numbers are even. There is one exception though, the number 15 is nice. When I hear numbers, I associate pleasant (even numbers) or not so pleasant (odd numbers) feelings with them. The same applies to colors, for example, I can associate light blue with peaceful and serene. Kyle said that he has never had these thoughts and does not think that colors have any meaning and that numbers can not be naughty or nice...what do you all think?? I know some of you out there are synesthesic.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Breakthrough
Once every two months, our small group volunteers at a great place called Breakthrough Urban Ministry in Garfield Park. It is a 'rest stop' for men who are need of shelter, looking for employment, etc. We provide a meal and chat with the men while enjoying it. Since it is only temporary, there are different people there every time we come. Always fun to serve them!

Also, Kyle and I were discussing this interesting topic on the way home from my FINAL class of the semester this morning. Synesthesia is when one of your senses becomes meshed with another...pretty much the opposite of anesthesia (removing all your sensory experiences). Anyways, some people have synesthesia while others do not. I was relaying to Kyle my experiences and thought that everyone had similar ones, so all you readers out there need to tell me if you have ever experienced this in another form or the same. Mine is with numbers, some numbers are nice and others are naughty. This is the way that it has always been: all odd numbers are naughty and all nice numbers are even. There is one exception though, the number 15 is nice. When I hear numbers, I associate pleasant (even numbers) or not so pleasant (odd numbers) feelings with them. The same applies to colors, for example, I can associate light blue with peaceful and serene. Kyle said that he has never had these thoughts and does not think that colors have any meaning and that numbers can not be naughty or nice...what do you all think?? I know some of you out there are synesthesic.
Also, Kyle and I were discussing this interesting topic on the way home from my FINAL class of the semester this morning. Synesthesia is when one of your senses becomes meshed with another...pretty much the opposite of anesthesia (removing all your sensory experiences). Anyways, some people have synesthesia while others do not. I was relaying to Kyle my experiences and thought that everyone had similar ones, so all you readers out there need to tell me if you have ever experienced this in another form or the same. Mine is with numbers, some numbers are nice and others are naughty. This is the way that it has always been: all odd numbers are naughty and all nice numbers are even. There is one exception though, the number 15 is nice. When I hear numbers, I associate pleasant (even numbers) or not so pleasant (odd numbers) feelings with them. The same applies to colors, for example, I can associate light blue with peaceful and serene. Kyle said that he has never had these thoughts and does not think that colors have any meaning and that numbers can not be naughty or nice...what do you all think?? I know some of you out there are synesthesic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Although I have not thought about this until now, I can totally see where you are coming from. I feel very much the same way with some numbers. A number can be naughty and some are nice. Besides colors and numbers, what other things can this feeling be drawn? You are a very insightful woman and Kyle needs to realize the prophet that he is married to.
But in response to the first part of this BLOG. I am so proud that you are involved in this type of ministry. There are days that I wondered if I messed up as a parent, but when I see that you are involved in this, it makes me so proud and thankful to God for not letting me mess you up completely, with my weird advice and actions.
I have a question about synesthesia. Is is like when you smell something so strong, you can taste it? Cuz I do that a lot, especially with poopy diapers. I can't say I've ever thought of a number as naughty or nice. Maybe 13 as unlucky, but isn't 7 a good number? It's mentioned in the Bible a lot? I agree with you about the colors though. Different colors make you feel different moods. I actually did a little research on it before decorating my house. And good for you for your volunteer work! You are making a difference!
Usually people have it in much larger forms. I don't know if I have it or am just weird! I think that we might have color associations because we are socialized to believe that certain colors represent certain feelings. About the taste thing, that is disgusting if you are tasting poop in your mouth.
The cases that we learned about were very noticeable, for instance, if a person tasted something they would say: that has a splash of metallic, a hint of asparagus, and it tastes like a summer day. There was a also a case of a child that whenever he heard something his body would morph into certain shapes. For example, when he heard the name of his aunt, he would pose like a tree and this remained the same throughout his entire life. It is weird stuff!
It's funny that you make the comment about something tasting like a summer day. Last night at supper, I ate a strawberry and said, "Mmmm these taste like summer!"
Actually in my early childhood classes, we have learned about different colors of painted walls in the room affecting behavior. Light blue and green are known as serene which are the colors of our classroom...a great choice for often over-stimulated toddlers
Post a Comment