Monday, August 18, 2008

My hubby...


We still haven't gotten the chance to take the files from our old computer and put them on our new one and I miss some of the pictures that are on there. I came across this picture in my email that Stacy mailed to me a few months ago and remembered the special moment! This picture is taken one day after Kyle and I were engaged in July of 2005. Just in case you aren't aware of the story...

Kyle and I decided to go camping with Andy and Stacy in Waukee (Timberline Campground). I had only known them for one month but we had instantly bonded and started a great friendship. I should have known what was to come since I had caught the bouquet at their wedding! Before we left in the morning, I decided to bring all my camping apparel (mesh shorts and tank tops). Kyle argued with me and told me to change into something nicer....not to go camping!!! Anyways, I won the battle and we started our trip. Our tent site was near a gazebo and since it was the weekend of the 4th of July, there was going to be a band playing at night (a one-man band). While he was preparing for his next musical stint, he would ask members of the audience to come up and tell jokes. During one of these breaks, I decided to use the restroom. I asked Kyle if he would walk me since it was getting dark and I hate that restrooms are so far away at campgrounds. He said, NO! I was so mad and Stacy was talking on her cellphone so I went by myself. I grumbled under my breath the entire way and accidentally walked into the men's restroom which only fueled my fire. When I returned to the campsite, Kyle was nowhere to be found. I figured he must of went to the restroom after me which almost sent me over the edge. When I glanced up at the one-man band, I realized that Kyle had the microphone in his hand. I thought, oh, great....Kyle is going to tell one of his wonderful jokes (I am being completely sarcastic). Instead, he said my name and asked me to come up. One of the drunk audience members thought that he said 'Jimmy' so he kept screaming , "Jimmy, Jimmy!" I just remember him saying, "From the first minute I met you..." Stacy was completely shocked but Kyle had told Andy earlier in the day about his plan to propose over the weekend.

We had only been dating ten months so our parents were not expecting an engagement so soon. My parents were at my grandparent's house in Okoboji taking a romantic boat ride so we couldn't get ahold of them. When we finally did, they told us that their boat had died and they had to row themselves back in (haha!). I guess we all have memories from that weekend!

The next morning while we were cooking our famous donuts, I just remember being so happy that I was finally engaged to my best friend and with two of my greatest friends! I have wanted to get rid of the shirt he was wearing that day for a long time but it brings back so many memories of that weekend (the reason I want to get rid of it is because it says 'Steel Erection'...and he wanted me to change my clothes!) I have a video of it so I will try and post it later!I can't imagine life without my best friend/hubby...even though he doesn't have the greatest taste in clothes! Isn't he so cute in that picture!!

2 comments:

Larry Lubinus said...

Not sure what to think about my daughter saying something like Steel erection, but I am assuming you are talking about a building of some kind in Chicago?

Stacy said...

That is one of my favorite pictures! A weekend and proposal that we will never forget : ). It was too perfect!