My husband and I have had this conversation on multiple occasions while deciding what Sunday morning service we are going to attend: traditional, blended, or contemporary. My argument always is about the style of music and my personal preference in worshipping God through music. One Sunday morning we had this lively discussion before heading to a traditional service...lo and behold there was a word that neither of us knew in the hymn that prompted us to look it up when we got home.
I was glad to come across the book "Then Sings My Soul" by Robert J. Morgan on Booksneeze.com. If you are unfamiliar with Booksneeze, it is a blogging book review website that is completely free and includes many different genres of Christian books. The book is a compilation of 150 Christmas, Easter, and all-time favorite hymns and the stories behind them. What I enjoyed best about "Then Sings my Soul" was that each song was organized nicely into categories and easy to find in the book. The stories behind each hymn are only a page long and easy to read. The best thing to me was that I could sing a popular hymn at church and come home from the service and QUICKLY get a better understanding of that particular song. Not only does the book include a brief description of each hymn but also the hymn itself which makes for a great reference or addition to anyone's music collection.
I would recommend "Then Sings My Soul" for anyone looking to better understand particular hymns and have a greater appreciation for traditional and historical music. I know I for one have enjoyed looking deeper into the music and changing my notion of how I enjoy to worship.
*This book was received for free by Booksneeze.com. My opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own and not influenced in any way by Booksneeze.com.*
No comments:
Post a Comment