Saturday, January 31, 2009

Interesting Night!

This is going to be a long story...

Last night (Friday) I was laying on the couch watching t.v. waiting for Kyle to get home from work . It was about 10:45pm and I knew that he should be home shortly. I heard what sounded like someone trying to enter a key into the lock of our door but really struggling. Sometimes Kyle fumbles around with the key because the lock can be hard to twist but this was kind of strange. I muted the t.v. and listened closely to what sounded like something other than a key being jiggled around in our lock. I quickly called Kyle and asked where he was, he said that he was driving home but traffic was a little heavy. I quietly explained in a panic that someone was at our door trying to get in. He told me to go make sure that the front and back doors were locked. It is hard to walk quietly in our apartment because the floors are so creaky but I slowly made my way to the front door and looked through the peep hole. (I was sweating so bad and I thought that my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I was definitely trying to figure out an escape route if necessary.) As I neared the door, I felt it inch forward a little like somebody pushed on it. Then I heard the dreaded noise, "Meow!" I hate cats! I tell Kyle not to worry, I think that it is a cat but he is still trying to rush home. When I finally see Kyle coming up the stairs through the peep hole I open the door. To my surprise, not one but three cats are standing outside the door and two quickly jet into our apartment. I scream for Kyle to get them out and hide in the bedroom. Then we start to wonder how three cats escape from an apartment without their owner knowing. We walk upstairs, cats in tow, and notice that the tenant's apartment door is open. It is now a little after 11:00pm so it is rather odd that her door is just hanging open. I knock loudly and yell her name...nothing. We notice that her t.v. is on, there are things knocked over in her entry way, and her t.v. cabinet is wide open. We start to think that maybe she got robbed and wonder if she is alright. Kyle knocks on the apartment across the hall to ask the lady if she has heard or seen anything and she says no. We question if we should enter the apartment but don't want to frighten anyone by walking in, on the other hand, we don't want the tenant to be hurt inside. So I yell rather loudly her name again. I hear, "Yeah, come on in." I tell her that her cats are out and her door is open. She comes around the corner with a blanket wrapped around her bottom half and says, "Hold on a minute, the door must have popped open". Kyle and I just pushed her cats inside and close the door. When we got back down to our apartment we laughed so hard because what started out as a very scary moment turned into something really weird.

Now we know why we hear so many things knock over up there...three cats prancing around! And you should see our Welcome mat. It is one of those scratchy ones that I am assuming the cats loved because there are shavings everywhere. Probably what I was hearing at the door.

4 comments:

Larry Lubinus said...

Wow what a story. I was really scared for you at the beginning that must have been very scary. I am so glad that it turned out to be something silly like the cats. I am going to be so glad when you move out to the burbs or even better yet back to good ole IOWA!

Stacy said...

Aww..I tried leaving you a comment earlier - but it's not there now :(.

I can just imagine you two in this particular situation. I would totally be freaking out! Even though I'm not a huge cat fan, I am very happy to hear that you JUST had a few cats trying to break into your place! You two are going to have all kinds of stories to tell your kids someday! I hope you don't have any more frigtening moments! Take care!

P.S. That pizza on your last post makes my mouth water EVERY time I check out your blog. Ymmm :)

Bethany said...

Are these the same neighbors that are "loud" in the middle of the night?

George said...

I'll be very SAD when you move out of Chicago. You're our friends and and part of our community we've built together. We'll miss you. Chicago has some problems, but it's a wonderful city that many millions of people enjoy living in. Many of us our entire lives.