Miles is 1 week old already! The first week seems to always be a blur of realizing you have a baby and learning to adjust. We had family in town for a few days to keep Lauren entertained otherwise it would have probably been pretty disastrous. Even though we had a homebirth, I still had to stay put and recover which isn't as easy compared to being confined to a hospital bed.
Miles is doing AWESOME! The midwife returned to our house 1 and 3 days after he was born. They check his vitals and make sure he is eating good. The biggest difference we discovered (and appreciated) was that he was not weighed. We were curious to see if nursing was going successfully but she mentioned that it is expected he will lose weight and there is no reason to confirm it or stress out mom which might impact supply. On Friday, we took him to his first pediatrician appointment. He weighed 8lbs. 3 oz. (back to birth weight already) and was 20.25 inches long. The pediatrician said most babies return to birth weight at 2 weeks...I guess nursing on demand really works!
He has been sleeping with us in our bed. We tried the bassinet by our bed a few times and whenever I laid him down he cried. I figure as long as he is eating and sleeping, I am not going to mess with it. He will generally sleep 3-4 hours before waking up for a diaper change and feeding. He rarely cries just starts to rut around and suck on his hand.
We've made it out of the house a few times which helps keep Lauren entertained and my mental state in check. I am not a "homebody" and it will be nice when I have the energy to hit up some play dates soon!
And just so she is not out-shined by her little brother, here is Lauren's latest outfit! Can you believe this was her last Halloween costume and the tag says 6-9 months...??
Getting to hold him!
First trip out of the house at 4 days to eat breakfast with Grandma and Grandpa at the hotel.
First bath at 4 days old. He was not a fan! The pediatrician said his skin would probably start peeling soon and sure enough shortly after his first bath it has started. His cord stump fell off at 4 days old too.
Meeting Grandpa Larry
Before Grandma Cindy headed back to Iowa
Sleeping his first week away!



No comments:
Post a Comment