Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Montessori at Home

Here are a few Montessori activities we have been doing at home lately...when we are actually home!

Transferring money; great for fine motor coordination. We generally do this activity right before learning about names of coins. It is a great way to peak her interest in coins and introduce them to her. I don't expect her to remember the characteristics of them but it is planting a seed in her brain for later.
Lauren's 'cheese face'. Sorting money into jars. Learning about classification, littlest to big, and naming/recognition of money.
Color recognition and naming. Collected paint chips from the hardware store and taped them to notecards. We use these for many different activities!
Sorting colored worms into their respective colored bowls.
Lauren's favorite, she calls it "Brown Bear Match Game". Matching paint chips to the colors of each animal in the book. This is a great one that she can do independently; especially good while I am in the shower!

3 comments:

Karen and Brett said...

great activites! I want to hear about more!!! Where did you come up with them or did you just think of them on your own?!

Jamie said...

I read about the paint chips on another blog but the majority of stuff we do is geared towards things we already have at home and she is familiar with.

I stole the worms and cups from my mom, they were two completely separate things that didn't come together. You can take a jar or little coffee can, wrap it in colored construction paper, and have them place colored poker chips or random objects that correspond with the color inside.

I will post some more that we do! Lauren loves going to "school" and usually wants to sit on her blue "school mat" while she works...they are funny little one!

Larry Lubinus said...

Awesome games can we do them this weekend!