Last Saturday, Lauren and I went to the library as we do 2-3 times per week. We have our little rituals: talk to the front desk librarian, sit in the rocking chair, point to the window clings, stop at the bank of computers and sit on the bench, talk to the big bear stuffed animal, and so on...
Lauren LOVES to sit on these little tiny benches around a table of computers. Luckily, the computers need passcodes to get on them, so she can play on the keyboard and wiggle the mouse to her heart's content without destroying anything. She was plopped on one of the benches while I quickly turned around to grab an "Angelina Ballerina" book I spotted. Our backs were facing each other but only about 6 feet away. I picked the book up, looked inside to see how many words were on the pages, closed the book, and set it back down. When I turned around, my little Lolo was GONE!! Completely GONE!! I hurriedly scanned the area, wondering how she got off the bench so quietly and quickly. I ran to the rocking chair...NOPE...ran to the bear...NOPE...ran around the library a few times...NOPE...ran to the door...NOPE!
I was really starting to freak out! She had disappeared so fast that in my head the only possibility was that someone had grabbed her. I was just about to run about to the librarians when I hear a loud beeping sound. First thought...LAUREN...what have you gotten yourself into! I ran to the side door to see if she was trying to push open the door causing it to beep but nope, wasn't coming from there. I run back to the front desk and quickly tell the librarians that Lauren has disappeared (they all know my little vivacious girl by name).
The sound the librarians tell me is coming from the....elevator! I push the button to find Lauren babbling away in the elevator all excited. Who is she talking to?...oh, that would be the elevator dispatcher. My little curious George thought it would be fun to push the help button. After explaining that it was an accident, and saying goodbye to the dispatcher, we quickly rounded up our books and headed on our way. How the heck did she sneak onto the elevator with no one seeing her though?? So weird!
I never thought I would be 'that parent', but I am seriously contemplating getting a little monkey harness for Lauren. She is so fast, quick, and sneaky that I can't handle that kind of frightening feeling again. Curious to hear if anyone else has something similar?? I don't like the idea of restricting her movement but it might be nice especially when the weather gets nicer and we go for walks. I do need to set some sort of limits with her and this would help her realize how far away from mommy and daddy she can go.

6 comments:
Not a problem, no worries. Safety of your child should always be your first concern, especially at her age where she's still learning limits.
We have one for Kyler, haven't really used it yet though...I'm thinking we might this summer though if we go to the zoo or the state fair...places where he's going to want to get out of the stroller and walk around.
we have used one of these with denver when we went on walks last summer and also the zoo. he felt a sense of "freedom" walking by himself and didn't mind wearing it at all. it helped us feel safer knowing he couldn't get away but also wasn't fussing to get out of the stroller.
i don't know why it left that comment from that name. sorry.
Having your child disappear even for a second is so scary! I say if it's for her safety the harness is a great idea! I'm sure some people over-use it but if it's used properly it can be a great tool to teach her boundaries. I still have to keep a close eye on my youngest (2yo) and if we're in a place where my full attention isn't on him (like at the library looking for books) I keep a tight grip on his hand; One time I didn't do that at the library and he ran when I wasn't looking...scary! Good luck with your curious girl:)
i have often times asked why that help button is bright red and right at a 1 year olds eye view!!! Very funny! Ayden loves to run to the elevator at church but has not gotten in it yet...
Post a Comment