Friday, March 19, 2010

A Greener Lifestyle...

I know I have mentioned before how Kyle and I don't really eat much processed food. Since having Lauren...I have had this strange feeling inside of me that I need to be more aware of what I put into my body as well as into the environment.

Look at tiny little 2 mo. old Lolo!
We made the switch from disposable diapers to cloth diapers when she was about 2 months old primarily for economic reasons and to 'eliminate' her nasty blow-outs (like my choice of word there?? hehe). After making the switch, I realized just how much we disposable diapers add to the landfills and create a lot unnecessary waste. Plus she doesn't have that yucky gel and chemicals near her bottom.Around the same time, I realized how much crap I was putting into my body with my choice of food and body care products. If I wasn't going to eat processed food, I decided I wouldn't feed it to Lauren as well and make her purees from scratch. I feel so much better, my skin looks healthier, and I am even below pre-pregnancy weight (although I am nowhere near looking the same).Slowly I can tell that we becoming more conscience of how we are contributing to the environment and making different changes in our household. Our most recent change has been with our laundry detergent...oh those nasty and pesky little chemicals. We started using 'soap nuts' a natural laundry product and it has helped drastically with sensitive skin and helping our clothes not deteriorate as fast. I have a giveaway going on for Yoreganics Laundry Products on my other blog that you should definitely come and check out and enter. It is such a small way to reduce your carbon footprint. My favorite feature of using soap nuts is that we don't have to buy Dreft and our adult detergent anymore and can use the soap nuts on all of it! If you do coin laundry these would be perfect since you can throw everything in together!!!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Since I'm awake a lot in the night with Olivia, I've seen more infomercials than I care to admit. Anyway, have you heard of the shark steamer? They have a mop and a hand held one. They're expensive, but use only steam to clean, no chemicals. And you wash and reuse the cloths when you're done, instead of using disposable cloths like the swiffer stuff. I've been really considering purchasing them. (those informercials have a way of gettin' to me!)

Nisha said...

She's such a cutie! Just discovered your blog and I love it. I too an a fan of breasfeeding, clothdiapering. I try to be as earth friendly as possible. If you have some time could you stop by my site? I could use a little help. http://www.simplelivingforall.blogspot.com I'm a follower of yours now!