Thursday, December 30, 2010

This Week's Festivities

For Christmas I got some nifty food contraptions. The one above is from my MIL and is a homemade baking dish that you can use for bread, casseroles, beans, etc. I decided to whip up some bread in it and really liked the shape that it produced instead of a loaf pan. The other really cool one that I mentioned in my post below is the power juicer! This thing is amazing!! We all enjoy getting up in the morning now and having some fresh juice. For example, below is what we juiced the other morning: two oranges, apple, pear, and half a sweet potato.
This was the final delicious product! Since your body doesn't have to digest all the fruit skin/pulp, it absorbs much quicker into your body giving you the nutrients and antioxidants that you need.
Lauren sucked it down! She really doesn't drink much other than breast milk and occasionally Almond Milk and water so it is nice to have her drinking something. We give her a powder probiotic too, so it mixes up nicely in her juice.
The juicer sucks out all the liquid from the fruit and leaves behind the pulp. We have been saving that for recipes like these scrumptious harvest blend muffins below that had all the pulp from the juice above, coconut, raisins, pecans, and carob chips. Lauren thinks they are cookies. We made a green smoothie the other day and saved the spinach and fruit pulp to add to meatloaf.
This week has also been 'BedTime Boot-Camp'. We decided to use our Christmas funds to buy a new mattress...finally! We contemplated getting a king-sized bed for us all to fit or get another queen and kick Lauren out. Well...Kyle won! We bought another queen bed and it is coming TODAY! I have been slowly working on transitioning Lauren into her own space. I knew she wasn't going to sleep in her crib because it is so difficult getting her in there without waking her up and she enjoys nursing to sleep so I just laid her crib mattress on the floor. She has been napping in there REALLY well this past week! We have a few toys, some pillows so she doesn't hit the wall, and her favorite bedtime books. She is always pointing to her mattress when we wake by her room and saying 'ni-ni' so we know she is starting to understand that it is her own space. For night, I have been nursing her down in there around 7ish and then when she wakes up for the first time bringing her back into our bed. I did that for two nights and noticed she was getting up around midnight each time so last night I went back in and nursed her down hoping we could go another stretch in her room but she woke up about 20 minutes later. I think I will try again tonight to nurse her down in her room for the first time and bring her in our room the second time (if she wakes up). Obviously there have been a lot of patterns in our room for the past 16 months and they are not going to change overnight so we are taking it slow. Plus, I still enjoy her snuggled next to me and couldn't stop cold-turkey either!


1 comment:

Larry Lubinus said...

Nice story and I am looking forward to trying some of those juices when I visit! I am wondering if I need a juicer now?